Wat Anongkharam

Wat Anongkharam (วัดอนงคาราม) is a second class royal temple in Thonburi built in 1850 by Than Phuying Noi, the wife of Somdet Chao Phraya Borom Maha Pichaiyat (That Bunnag). It was originally named Wat Noi Kham Thaem after her but King Mongkut (Rama IV) later changed the name to Wat Anongkharam Woravihara. Her husband built the adjacent Wat Phichayatikaram.

The main Buddha image of the temple Phra Chulanark (พระจุลนาค) is in Sukhothai style.

The temple is known locally as Wat Somdet Ya (Temple of the Royal Grandmother) because the mother of King Bhumipol Adulyadej (Rama IX) was born in the neighbourhood.


Somdej Chao Phraya Road, Somdej Chaophraya District, Khlongsan, Bangkok

Website Powered by WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: