Wat Phitchaya Yatikaram (วัดพิชยญาติการาม) is a second class royal temple in Thonburi restored around 1830 by Somdet Chao Phraya Borom Maha Pichaiyat (That Bunnag) during the reign of King Rama III. That Bunnag was heavily involved in trade with China and the architecture of the temple reflects the Chinese influences that were fashionable in this era. He is remembered by a statue of him seated in front of the temple. His wife built the adjacent Wat Anongkharam.
The most notable feature of the temple is the massive 42metre high prang at inside of which four Buddha images are seated looking out at each of the cardinal directions. Smaller prangs east and west of the main prang house an image of the Maitrya Buddha (The future Buddha) in the east and footprints of the four Buddhas (The last four incarnations of the Buddha) to the west. The prangs also contain the ashes of That Bunnag’s family.
The inside of the ubosot is finely decorated with some beautiful paintings in Chinese style of maritime voyages on the main pillars. There are also some very fine antique cabinets decorated in black and gold lacquer. The main Buddha image Phra Sittharot is in Sukhothai style.
Somdej Chao Phraya Road, Somdej Chaophraya District, Khlongsan, Bangkok